28 Jan 2018

My poem about CKD

I originally posted this on my Curse of Nephros blog and it got me thinking that it would be good to have a separate blog where I could start to publish some of the ideas from my notebooks that seldom see the light of day.

This poem about my CKD was written back in October as my submission to a competition run by the Disability Staff Network Group (DSNG) at work to publicise ‘International Day for Disabled Persons’ on December 3rd. I don’t consider myself ‘disabled’ as such, although that may change when my CKD gets to end stage, but the objective was about highlighting the challenges people with medical conditions face.

Anyway here it is:  

Forgive my words if they are terse
It's not the end, it could be worse
They try their best, I'm sure it's true
But it's all my kidneys they can do!

They were never right from the start
Now I fear they'll break my heart
And when their time is finally come
I’ll beg a donor for another one

No point in asking ‘Why’?
Will only send my BP high
No more gout I hope and pray
It can only spoil my day

So a rather sorry little tale
I'll horde the days until they fail
Till then I mustn’t worry
For dialysis I’m in no hurry

2 comments: